Your blood holds key information vital to the health of your heart. Dr. Jamshid Maddahi uses blood testing to determine if you have high cholesterol, indicating a buildup of plaque in your arteries. At our cardiology practice, we use blood testing in Los Angeles to determine if there are infections in other systems that may be affecting your heart.
Key Blood Indicators
Testing for C-reactive protein (CRP) helps determine your overall health. CRP is a protein your liver produces in response to injury or infection. If you have a high CRP count, Dr. Maddahi will test to find the source of the inflammation within your body.
What Does Dr. Maddahi Test For
Dr. Maddahi may test for the following indicators:
- Fibrinogen: Fibrinogen is a protein your body manufactures to facilitate blood clotting. Too much fibrinogen may mean you are developing atherosclerosis or could indicate a blood clot.
- Homocysteine: Homocysteine is a protein your body uses to build tissue. Too much Homocysteine can increase your chances of having a stroke.
- Lipoprotein-A: Lipoprotein-a is primarily determined genetically and not by diet or lifestyle. High levels of lipoprotein-a indicate an increased risk of a heart attack. Low-density lipoprotein (LDL) cholesterol is an indicator of fatty deposits in the arteries and can be managed.
- Brain Natriuretic Peptide: Also called B-type natriuretic peptide (BNP), this is a protein that your heart and blood vessels manufacture and use to relax blood vessels, release salt into the urine, and helps your body eliminate fluids. If your heart is damaged, your body will manufacture more of this substance to assist your heart.
Why Is It Done
Blood testing in Los Angeles is a powerful tool that can give your doctor important information about your heart health. By checking for certain substances in your blood, a blood test can help your doctor diagnose or rule out certain health conditions. Blood tests can be used to check for a wide variety of heart conditions, including:
- Anemia, which makes your heart work harder
- Atherosclerosis, caused by a buildup of plaque in your arteries
- Cardiomyopathy, which can make it harder for your heart to pump blood
- Coronary artery disease, caused by plaque buildup and narrowed coronary arteries
- Congenital heart defects present at birth that can cause heart problems later in life
- Diabetes, which can damage your blood vessels and lead to heart disease
- High blood pressure, which puts extra strain on your heart and can damage your arteries
- High cholesterol, which can lead to plaque buildup in your arteries
Blood testing in Los Angeles can also check for risk factors for heart disease, such as high cholesterol or diabetes. By checking for these conditions early, you and your doctor can take steps to reduce your risk of heart disease. Blood tests are often used along with other diagnostic tests, such as stress tests or electrocardiograms, to diagnose or rule out heart conditions.
Information is Key
Whether you are seeing us for preventive heart health or after you have developed a serious condition, we use every tool in our arsenal in the war against heart disease. Blood testing is one component of the individualized health plan Los Angeles cardiologist Dr. Maddahi will develop tailored specifically for you.
When you come to Dr. Maddahi for blood testing in Los Angeles, you will have peace of mind knowing that the evaluation of your test is performed by a doctor voted one of the World’s Best Doctors by his peers. Here you are starting on solid, reviewed information and, from there, pointed in the right direction.
Combining his years of scientific research into heart health with the caring that only comes from a dedicated physician, you can rest assured your heart is in good hands.